Note: The Common Application is a standard college application used for undergraduate admission primarily at 4-year colleges and universities, so students applying to a community college, seeking online degrees through distance learning programs or pursuing a higher degree such as an MBA will need to use the school’s
The Most Important Do and Don't of College Essay Endings
- DO: End in the action. End right after your pivot, or key moment.
- DON'T: Summarize. Here's your challenge: don't ever say the point of your essay.
- Go full circle.
- Directly address the college.
The Disadvantages of Using the Common App: No application process is perfect and the Common App is no exception.
- Online vs. Paper: There is no longer a paper version of the Common Application.
- Membership is selective: In order to become a member school, colleges and universities must apply.
Note: The Common Application is a standard college application used for undergraduate admission primarily at 4-year colleges and universities, so students applying to a community college, seeking online degrees through distance learning programs or pursuing a higher degree such as an MBA will need to use the school's
The Common App is a great tool to save you time during your senior year of high school. However, you should always keep in mind that research is your most important tool. If you can keep on top of everything that needs to be done, the Common Application is definitely worth the time.Oct 10, 2019
Most schools require 1-3 supplemental essays, though some may require more or none at all (see our list of top colleges without supplements). These supplemental essays tend to be around 250 words, though some may be just as long as your main essay.May 30, 2020
According to the folks at the Common Application, in the 2018-19 admissions cycle, Option #7 (topic of your choice) was the most popular and was used by 24.1% of applicants. The second most popular was Option #5 (discuss an accomplishment) with 23.7% of applicants. In third place was Option #2 on a setback or failure.Jul 20, 2021
Follow these top tips to make your conclusion a sucess:
- Make it memorable. An essay conclusion should aim to stay in the reader's mind whether that's because it's a great story, the thought of what may come next or you've left a resounding impression.
- Think ahead.
- Avoid making jokes.
- Get feedback.
- Further information.
Admissions officers look for students whose essays reveal their character and perspective through their real experiences, not contrived situations. Admissions officers say most essays they read are safe, generic and do nothing to make them remember or want to advocate for the students who wrote them.
A: The Common App is a powerful tool, so use it! Even more helpful, you can fill out The Common Application once and send it to any of the 456 Common App schools. This is a huge time saver. Don't be afraid that colleges will pay less attention to The Common App than their own application—they won't.Sep 7, 2011
You can find the essay prompts and instructions by going to the "Common App" tab on your Common App account and clicking on "Writing." There, you'll choose one of seven Common App essay prompts to respond to. Your essay must be between 250 and 650 words long.Oct 7, 2020
Tackling the Common App Essay Prompts
- Prompt #1: Share your story.
- Prompt #2: Learning from obstacles.
- Prompt #3: Challenging a belief.
- Prompt #4: Solving a problem.
- Prompt #5: Personal growth.
- Prompt #6: What captivates you?
- Prompt #7: Topic of your choice.
- Describe a person you admire.