Titles of individual short stories and poems go in quotation marks. The titles of short story and poetry collections should be italicized. For example, “The Intruder,” a short story by Andre Dubus appears in his collection, Dancing After Hours.
The rules are fairly standard for title case:
- Capitalize the first and the last word.
- Capitalize nouns, pronouns, adjectives, verbs (including phrasal verbs such as “play with”), adverbs, and subordinate conjunctions.
- Lowercase articles (a, an, the), coordinating conjunctions, and prepositions (regardless of length).
With that in mind, here are the ten best book titles to get a reader stoked.
- Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
- Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng.
- Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (and Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling.
- Are You There, Vodka?
- The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger.
How to italicize text on an iPhone in Notes
- Open the Notes app.
- Type your text into a note.
- Select the word you want to italicize by double tapping the word.
- Tap "BIU."
- Tap "Italic."
- Alternatively, after you've selected your word(s), you can also tap on "Aa" above your keyboard.
- Tap "I" to italicize.
Lyric Poetry Examples
- elegy - a reflective poem to honor the dead.
- haiku - a seventeen-syllable poem that uses natural imagery to express an emotion.
- ode - an elevated poem that pays tribute to a person, idea, place, or another concept.
- sonnet - a descriptive fourteen-line poem with a specific rhyme scheme.
The title of the poem should always appear the top of the poem so it is the first thing the reader sees. You should then capitalize all words except for the articles in the poem so it is grammatically correct. For example, you would format a title as: “The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock” or “At the Dinner Table.”
Examples: The examples found in the MLA section are based on the manual MLA Handbook, 9th ed., 2021. Your source is an article published in a journal: The title of the container = the title of the journal. Your source is a web page found on a website: The title of the container = the title of the website.
The title summarizes the main idea or ideas of your study. A good title contains the fewest possible words that adequately describe the contents and/or purpose of your research paper. The title is without doubt the part of a paper that is read the most, and it is usually read first.