Most stylebooks specify placing the nickname after the forename and enclosing it in quotation marks. Some stylebooks say parentheses may be used instead. Examples of the preferred form: General James “Mad Dog” Mattis, Coach Paul “Bear” Bryant, Prime Minister Margaret “Iron Lady” Thatcher.Jan 29, 2017
In general, you should capitalize the first word, all nouns, all verbs (even short ones, like is), all adjectives, and all proper nouns. That means you should lowercase articles, conjunctions, and prepositions—however, some style guides say to capitalize conjunctions and prepositions that are longer than five letters.
We need a snappy title for the book. designate by an identifying term.
- Has he any title to the land?
- The reigning champion will defend her title tonight.
- The title is in bold print.
- Has anyone got any suggestions for a title?
- She retained her tennis title for the third year.
- This is a manuscript bearing as a title Ruth.
The 3 Most Common Attributes of Good Titles
- Short. The most memorable titles are usually on the shorter side.
- Evocative. Best-selling titles are often evocative and contain compelling wordplay and imagery.
- Memorable and unique. A good-book-title should be both memorable and unique.
When the quote ends, use a comma inside the quotation marks, and then continue the sentence outside. If the quote ends with a question mark or an exclamation point, use it inside the quotation marks, and then continue the sentence outside the quotation marks like: "Where are you going?" she asked.
Double quotation marks are used for direct quotations and titles of compositions such as books, plays, movies, songs, lectures and TV shows. Do not place in quotation marks: names of newspapers, magazines, central texts of a religion (Bible, Koran), dictionaries, handbooks and reference books.
MLA Paper Formatting Basics
- Use white 8 ½ x 11” paper.
- Make 1 inch margins on the top, bottom, and sides.
- The first word in every paragraph should be indented one half inch.
- Indent set-off or block quotations one half inch from the left margin.
- Use any type of font that is easy to read, such as Times New Roman.
Most stylebooks specify placing the nickname after the forename and enclosing it in quotation marks. Some stylebooks say parentheses may be used instead. Examples of the preferred form: General James "Mad Dog" Mattis, Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant, Prime Minister Margaret "Iron Lady" Thatcher.Jan 29, 2017
Titles of books should be underlined or put in italics. (Titles of stories, essays and poems are in "quotation marks.") Refer to the text specifically as a novel, story, essay, memoir, or poem, depending on what it is. In subsequent references to the author, use his or her last name.