Although shorter, a 150-word essay poses certain challenges that a longer essay doesn’t. You must be concise, and have one main point and stick to it. Nevertheless, in writing an effective short essay you’ll be using the same fundamentals of good essay writing that apply to any essay, regardless of length.
12 Real Ways to Make an Essay Longer
- Check the Prompt or Assignment Again.
- Make Sure You Have Included Everything.
- Take Another Look at Your Introduction.
- Add More Evidence and References.
- Bring in Relevant Quotations.
- Improve and Expand Your Descriptions.
- Expand Each Paragraph for Clarity.
- Enhance Your Transitions.
Less Is Not More: How to Write Longer Sentences (if you really
- Step 1: Add Weasel Words.
- Step 2: Add Empty Phrases.
- Step 3: Add Redundancies.
- Step 4: Add Definitions.
- Step 5: Add Synonyms – the More, the Better.
- Step 6: Add Foreign Words.
- Step 7: And Now, the Final Touch.
Writing 2,000 words will take about 50 minutes for the average writer typing on a keyboard and 1.7 hours for handwriting. However, if the content needs to include in-depth research, links, citations, or graphics such as for a blog article or high school essay, the length can grow to 6.7 hours.
Answer: 150 words is 0.3 pages single-spaced or 0.6 pages double-spaced. Documents that typically contain 150 words are short memos, blog posts, or marketing copy. A 150 word count will create about 0.3 pages single-spaced or 0.6 pages double-spaced when using normal margins (1″) and 12 pt.
In the simplest terms, your college essay should be pretty close to, but not exceeding, the word limit in length. Think within 50 words as the lower bound, with the word limit as the upper bound. So for a 500-word limit essay, try to get to somewhere between 450-500 words.Aug 10, 2020
The introduction of an essay is usually short, but you can choose to lengthen your introduction by giving a small history about the origin of the topic you are writing. When you conclude, make sure that you touch on every point you had talked in your body but in the summary form.
Although shorter, a 150-word essay poses certain challenges that a longer essay doesn't. You must be concise, and have one main point and stick to it. Nevertheless, in writing an effective short essay you'll be using the same fundamentals of good essay writing that apply to any essay, regardless of length.
300-Word Essay Tips
- Research received topic. You do not need to learn every little thing about it – just the aspects about which you plan to write.
- Start your essay with a thesis.
- Brainstorm some ideas to support your thesis.
- Write a short introduction where you discuss the essay topic.
- End up with a solid conclusion.
Essay length guidelines
|Type of essay||Average word count range|
|High school essay||300–1000 words|
|College admission essay||200–650 words|
|Undergraduate college essay||1500–5000 words|
|Graduate school admission essay||500–1000 words|
Below are some ways that you can make your essay longer if you're struggling to reach the required word count.
- Add Supporting Evidence.
- Ensure that You've Included Everything.
- Use Transitional Phrases.
- Use Quotations.
- Take Another Look at Your Outline.
- Have Someone Read Your Essay.
- Spell Out Numbers or Contractions.